“Just the BEST and most incredible house, location and experience. This stay was the high light of our trip especially for the kids who we struggled to tear away from the pool! Just stunning. Thanks so much Peter. This was our first swap with Lovehomeswap. Having done a few swaps with different companies in the past we knew how it worked but Peter made the whole process so much easier for us than any previous swap. He sent us fantastic information on the house and the area and kept in touch while we were there. A proper home from home experience... except we wish our home was like Peter's!!! ”
The home is an architecturally designed red cedar log cabin.
The home is an architecturally designed red cedar log cabin.
Cette personne est un supermembre. Elle a déjà échangé sa maison, répond rapidement aux demandes ou son annonce a été vérifiée par l'un de nos moyens d'authentification. Contactez-nous pour en savoir plus.
Added to shortlist
This home is in your shortlist. To access your shortlist click the icon in the navigation
Add to shortlist
This home is not yet in your shortlist
- 4 chambres
- Couchages 8
- 4 salles de bain
Our waterfront home is on Hummingbird Lane, Bowen Island. Bowen is one of British Columbia’s gulf islands and is situated just 20 minutes by ferry to the mainland (West Vancouver) and another 40 minutes to downtown Vancouver,60 minutes to our world famous Olympic Whistler Ski Village and 30 minutes (or less) to 3 top notch ski mountains, Cyprus Mountain, Grouse Mountain and Seymour Mountain. Bowen also has a scheduled water taxi (I think it makes 6 round trips a day) to and from Vancouver. Bowen Island to downtown Vancouver in about 30 minutes.
The Pan-abode people (the people that supplied the logs) made a promotional video of the cabin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ItVRhK0JzA
The home is situated on a wooded acre facing southeast. While the property has been in the family for more than 50 years the main home has just (2012) been rebuilt. My in-laws are Dorman and have been Bowen Islanders for a hundred years or more. There are two other structures on the property - a one bedroom Casida and a small studio.
The home has all the services (except telephone - best to bring a cell phone) and amenities one might expect. We have Internet, TV, WIFI, city water & power. A propane gas service which serves the kitchen cook top, barbecue, and our fire table. A kitchen to die for; two dishwashers, three ovens, a professional gas cook top, double fridge/freezer, ice maker, wine fridge and a Miele automatic coffee maker. A High Definition 70” flat screen TV, an unbelievable sound system (indoors and out) and for entertaining family and friends an outdoor fire table. If the power goes off we have a generator that automatically powers the essentials until it's restored. The last time we had an outage was about 3 years ago.
The home has three bedrooms and three bathrooms – two with showers. We have a washer/dryer and a robot that cleans the tile floors – really! The home is completely tiled and we have in floor hot water heating and a wood burning fireplace that will heat the home if needed.
The decking and infinity pool (facing the water) is fenced to keep the deer from eating our flowers.
A note on heating the pool. Our cabin is on an island. There is no natural gas service on Bowen. Our power (heating) is supplied by electricity or propane. Electricity for our in-floor heating system and propane for the hot tub and pool. Propane is pretty pricey. Our tank holds about $1,000.00 of propane. The hot tub can be heated separately and I have estimated that to heat the hot tub for a couple of hours would cost approximately $29.00 for each session. To heat the pool for a couple of weeks I am guessing would be about $2,500.00. However, if a guest wants to pay for their propane consumption - I will set it up. There is a beach "September Morn" (about a 20-minute walk from the cabin) -but it's not heated either:+)
From our cedar deck patios, you have a great view of the ferries to Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast.
Our Casida (a separate little home) has a queen size bed, bathroom and shower, and a living area with a fridge, sink & table top stove. The Casida has TV, Internet and telephone connections. Perfect for a family member or guest who wants to have their own space.
The quiet, forested island of 52sq km/20sq mi lives up to its slogan of "Within Reach. Beyond Comparison." Water lovers enjoy kayaking around Bowen Island's sheltered bays, swimming at sandy beaches, and mooring their boats at local marinas. And from mighty Mount Gardner to the shores of Killarney Lake, hiking, mountain biking, and golf offer both hilly challenges and pure relaxation. The village, Snug Cove (5 minutes by car - 20 minutes to walk - from our cabin), is host to restaurants, cafes, and shops.
A note for "point" Swappers. Before your arrival we had the cabins cleaned, the bedding washed and the beds made - done properly it's a five-hour task. We ask that you agree to leave our cleaning lady (Vinnie) $180.00 to return the cabins to the condition you enjoyed on your arrival. Vinnie prefers cash - just leave the money on the counter.
Because Bowen is our second home, a swap need not be simultaneous.
- Résidence secondaire
- Télé par câble
- Adaptée aux enfants
5 des comptes endus
“What a wonderful stay we have just had on Bowen Island at Peter's home. Equipped with every convenience imaginable (including vacuum robot!), gorgeous views and spacious living areas, Peter's home was superb for our family reunion. Peter was a great host, he communicated regularly with us before our trip, and offered us lots of information and ideas for our holiday. We were pleasantly surprised at how regular (hourly) and convenient the ferry service was and really enjoyed 'island' life for our 10 day break. We would highly recommend Peter's home for a family holiday - it was an ideal base for island outdoor activities as well as sightseeing in Vancouver and Whistler. Thank you Peter from all of our extended family - your helpfulness and thorough notes and information made our time on Bowen very relaxed and enjoyable.”
“What a stunning home and location you have Peter. We loved the ease and comfort of your home, especially the coffee maker and robot (I know what I want for Christmas now). Your communication with us was perfect. The secret beach at the end of Hummingbird lane was our favourite. Everything was 5 star, thank you, you thought of everything.”
“Peter, The week we spent at the cabin couldn't have been more perfect. Waking up to the spectacular view of the ocean, not to mention the beautiful decks and pool, was so lovely. All the conveniences of a chef's kitchen at our disposal and tastefully decorated home made the "cabin" feel more like a luxurious resort! We were lucky enough to have hot weather all week and really enjoyed cooling off in the pool. Peter, your hospitality and attention to all our needs made the vacation with my mom and sisters one we will never forget. The eagles and the deer showed up almost every day and cruising around the island to check out all the beaches was fun and interesting. We also enjoyed shopping and eating at the good restaurants in town. One of our favorites was Doc Morgan's Fish and Chips on the upper patio deck one evening. Thank you for opening up your beautiful home on beautiful Bowen Island. All the instructions and directions took the stress out of our stay and your availability was greatly appreciated. We would definitely come back again. The Mammel Girls”
“THANK YOU PETER! What can I say about the hospitality that Peter showed to us during our 10 day stay at his AMAZING cabin? He picked us up from the train station He took us to the nearest Supermarket so we could stock up He leant us his car He invited us to, and then bought us a wonderful picnic lunch He was in constant contact throughout our stay to make sure we were super comfortable He organised car seats for the kiddies He supplied toys for the kids He then dropped us at the airport when we departed. He charmed us all and we will never forget our time in his home or his country, we will forever be in touch and feel privileged to have met him and learnt about his family. Thank you again Peter and all the best to you and your family. For members looking at the pictures of Peter's home, know this, they don't do it justice, they can't do it justice, go see for your own eyes, you won't be left wanting! Love from us all. The Prince family. ”
Apprenez plus sur nous-mêmes
- I am retired (my wife passed away 12 years ago) . There are 5 of us - my daughter, her husband & my 2 granddaughters (12 year old twins) we have travelled and stayed in France, Spain, Italy, Serbia, Montenegro & Greece. We have always rented for about a month a farm house or a home in a village. Now we are into swapping - swapping (or for points) our summer home for a place somewhere - maybe France in a wine district - during the last week in August into September or ...
- My daughter Julie and her husband Slavi and their two twins Marija & Petra actually live in Montenegro but the girls as schooled (French immersion) in Canada. They arrive in Sept and return to Europe in June.
- The Bowen log cabin is a second home, swaps need not be simultaneous.
Where is it?
- ***** Tuscany Pizza - 451 Bowen Island Trunk Rd (604 947 0550) - Reviews (20) 4 1/2 Stars - A Guest Writes Feb/2015 "All of my guests to Bowen Island who have just one meal at the Tuscany come back for many more. Their pastas are popular and do not disappoint, salads (especially the Tuscana) are superb, and pizza is to die for, according to my grandchildren." A bustling European style trattoria nestled in a heritage style house with a lush garden patio - a favourite... ***** Rustique Bistro - 433 Bowen Island Trunk Rd. (604 947 2277) - Reviews (18) 4 1/2 Stars - A Guest Writes Apr/2015 "The French Onion soup is so good, the toasted cheese on crouton made it really tasty, my choice of Pulled Pork proved to be a flavorsome snack and the menu has so many other delights to wet the appetite. The Ice cream is also very very good, the perfect way to end the afternoon." ***** There are 16 more Bowen Restuarants on Trip Advisor - at: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurants-g183738-Bowen_Island_British_Columbia.html
- Bars cool
- ***** Bowen island Pub - 479 Bowen Island Trunk Rd. (604 947 2782) - Reviews (12) 4 Stars. In British Columbia there are no free standing bars. Bars are only found in Hotels however on Bowen we do have a Pub!
- Un peu de culture
- Bowen Island has a high proportion of artists and artisans
- Promenades au parc
- Hiking up to Dorman Point (named after my wife's grandfather) is a great way to get a sense of Bowen Island's geography. While there are some steep climbs, reaching the summit of this arbutus tree-strewn plateau offers a striking view of Whytecliffe Park in West Vancouver across the Queen Charlotte Channel. Dorman Point is a lovely spot for a picnic. The 4km/2.5mi Killarney Lake loop, just west of Snug Cove, is among the most popular hiking routes on Bowen Island, with flat and steep sections. Traverse the Killarney Lake wetlands on a boardwalk, check out the fish ladder, and watch out for great blue herons and black-tailed deer. Non-motorized boats, like kayaks, ply the lily pad-dotted its waters. Other trails link up with the Killarney Lake loop. Mount Gardner is Bowen Island's tallest mountain with an elevation of 762m/2500ft. On this hike, climb through the rainforest, passing waterfalls and crossing bridges.
- Un peu d'exercice
- ***** Kayaking (http://www.bowenislandkayaking.com/) A great spot for launching kayaks is Snug Cove. Kayak north, following the forested shoreline toward Cates Bay or Hood Point. Or enjoy an easy paddle south toward the secluded cove at Apodaca Marine Park. The west side of Bowen Island is ideal for a sunset paddle. Setting out from Tunstall Bay, a well-known swimming beach, is popular. Sea lions, porpoises, whales, otters, eagles, and great blue herons are among the creatures that may be spotted during a Bowen kayaking trip. Circa August and September, the abundance of algae in the water creates a brilliant display of bioluminescence, making evening and night paddling a visual treat. Bowen Island Sea Kayak is head-quartered next to the ferry terminal in Snug Cove, and offers kayak rentals, lessons, gear sales, and guided tours for individuals or groups. Lessons cover everything from basic kayak strokes to rescuing capsized kayaks, and courses for children and women are available. Trips include tours out of Snug Cove, moonlight paddles, and adventures around the Pasley Island archipelago off Bowen. *****Golf. Our Bowen Island Golf Club features a 9-hole golf course carved from a West Coast rainforest on Bowen Island, BC features magnificent views of Howe Sound. The 3,003 yard, par 35 layout designed by Russ Olson offers three sets of tee boxes that ensures challenge and reward for players of all skill levels.
- Randonnées d'un jour
- You are 30 minuites from down town Vancouver by water taxi (runs 11 time a day)
completed in 2012, our ocean front open concept home has vaulted ceilings and floor to ceiling windows. there are magnificent ocean and mountain views from...
Location Location - this is it. Perched above Snug Cove with great views of the marina and a 2 minute walk to a swimming beach. Steps to the ferry and Snug...
Our beautiful home is 12 years new, a collaboration between an artist and architect. It features a custom wrought iron staircase and railings, majestic fir...