Our large, renovated home is located on a hill overlooking the beautiful Yarra River and stunning mountains. The ground floor features 2 spacious bedrooms, a...
Charming character cottage - 75 km from Melb CBD
Charming character cottage - 75 km from Melb CBD
Added to shortlist
This home is in your shortlist. To access your shortlist click the icon in the navigation
Add to shortlist
This home is not yet in your shortlist
- 3 chambres
- Couchages 7
- 2 salles de bain
Our light filled, garden cottage is warm and inviting and a pleasure to stay in. Retaining many old & charming features from 1906 such as lead light windows, polished floors, high ceilings & original fire places. Originally used as a stop over for the train drivers who drove the steam engines full of honeymooners and holiday makers up from Melbourne, in the days before road travel. A full renovation has created a very cosy and comfortable home for a modern day lifestyle. The property contains three pretty bedrooms, (two with queen sized beds, the other with two singles & a comfortable quality day bed), two bathrooms, spa bath in the main bathroom, two showers, two toilets (one in the en-suite and one separate from the main bathroom in a powder room), quality beds & linen, air con and excellent heating, open gas flame fire, lovely country style kitchen with a big stainless oven, cosy living room & three sets of french doors opening to the endless light and 'green' that envelopes the cottage. We also keep a great collection of toys, games, books, DVDs, CDs (and an iPod dock) for those rainy 'stay indoors' days and there is limited wifi available. Cottage gardens surround the home and although set in the main street of this gorgeous, historic township, Warburton is a valley town, so there are mountains & trees all around you. The Yarra river is across the road with cycle and walking tracks nearby. The Yarra Valley region is known for it's natural beauty - rainforest, national park, bushland, river, world class wineries and restaurants are all on your doorstep. An easy reach from Melbourne's CBD (75 km away) makes city day trips another attraction. Dip in and out of the city at your leisure but come home to the hidden gem of Warburton, with the river running through it and the mountains looking over it. You don't necessarily need a car to stay or reach our home either (bus & train to the city is easy) but we have secure parking for 2 cars on site in a fully fenced and gated property. We are also open to leaving our car so that you can tour the wineries and many other attractions of this beautiful region, so close to the vibrant city of Melbourne. A beautiful spot to stay in all seasons but our favourite time would have to be summer when we throw open the french doors, eat & drink outside, walk, cycle, picnic and swim. The river is across the road (behind the shops and cafes) - not even a minute's walk away, with easy to walk riverside tracks, pretty wooden bridges, swimming holes and grassy banks. Our children have enjoyed hours of summertime fun 'tubing' down the river (our big rubber tubes are for our visitor's use too) and we often end a summer day with fish & chips on the riverbank. You can walk to the local pub, cafes and restaurants for lunch or dinner and we love being able to share a lovely local wine and not have to worry about driving home. Our fire dish is another great excuse to sit outside after dark, with a nice glass of local red, talking, laughing, toasting marshmallows and contemplating the stars that seem to shine more brightly here than in the city. Our location really is unique with a country town feel but with everything you need close to hand & within walking distance. Our home is not a mansion but it is quaint, charming, immaculately clean and has a certain ambiance, making it hard to leave once you are here!
- Résidence secondaire
- Adaptée aux enfants
- Accès handicapé
- Pas d'animaux
Apprenez plus sur nous-mêmes
- We are a couple with young adult 'children' - not quite empty nesters yet! We love family holidays with our kids ( 2 at Uni, 1 still in school). We are healthy, active, non smokers , love food & wine, exploring other cultures & different countries.
- We are professionals who work in Melbourne & Doha, love travel and have lived & worked abroad. We have family in the UK so are always looking for London Xmas house swaps.
- We love music, books, theatre, concerts, films, (our home has a great dvd & book collection) wineries, restaurants, walking, cycling, golf, swimming & nature. We keep a lovely home & garden ourselves and are a tidy, respectful family.
Where is it?
- The Yarra Valley is known for it's world class wineries and restaurants. These are too numerous to mention here but a favourite of ours is Stones of the Yarra Valley. Our helpful information folder is full of good restaurant and winery tips.
- Bars cool
- Our local pub has a beer garden and serves great food & is a mere 5 minute walk away. Plenty of pubs and bars in the area. Sunday afternoon live music across the road (towards the river, behind the Wild Thyme cafe is a very enjoyable way to spend time with family and friends.
- Cafés sympas
- Warburton is 'cafe city', with great cafes right on your doorstep, serving quality coffee (Australians are known to be fussy about their coffee so you know it is going to be good! There are plenty of cafes in town and beyond serving quality, fresh (often local) produce and cuisine. If you are a 'foodie', you have come to the right place.
- Cure shopping
- Lots of quirky, artsy shops and studios in the town and region. Warburton has a thriving Arts culture with book shops, a small, independent cinema, artisan, gift and clothes shops, all outside your door.
- Un peu de culture
- The town hosts several Festivals, such as the Jazz Festival and Film Festival, amongst others. There are museums, galleries and studios highlighting the art, culture and history of the region. Our cottage, built in 1906 has a history as a 'railway cottage', accommodating the train drivers who would drive the steam engines up from Melbourne - the main form of travel in days past. The many wineries in the region produce and serve world class food & wine. Then there is the city of Melbourne to take day trips to for even more culture and sight seeing. A day trip is more than pleasant, with travel taking about 1.5 hrs, following a very straight forward route or take a city hotel just for a night, if you'd prefer to see more of Melbourne that way.
- Promenades au parc
- We are nestled between two green spaces in the main street of the town, with the park next door providing us with a canopy of shade from it's 100+ year old oak. This shades our main deck where the big outdoor table sits and is a favourite spot for the birdlife, especially the Rosellas and Parrots, who will come into the garden to visit. Warburton is essentially built in a valley, so there are mountains all around you. The bed in the master bedroom is placed so that you wake up to mountain views. Everywhere you look, there is 'green' - from our delightful cottage gardens to the rainforest , the riverbank with it's Mountain Ash native trees and stunning tree ferns, the timeless Australian bush & the National Parks all around this area of stunning natural beauty and significance. There are cycle and walking trails just outside the gate. Swimming and picnics down at the river (1 min walk) in summer or snow play on nearby Mt Donna Buang (15 mins drive) in winter. Stunning colours abound in spring and autumn in this picturesque, quaint little town, where nature is right on your doorstep.
- Un peu d'exercice
- The Warburton Trail (some 40kms of trail that leads back to outer Melbourne) stops near our cottage. Bike hire and advice is on hand if you'd like to ride the Trail. Ride all or just some of it, stopping at a cafe or pub to break the journey. There are bush tracks, local town walks, rainforest walks, and the river for swimming, fishing, canoeing or tubing (we keep big rubber tubes at the house) for outdoor fun. The region has ballooning, horse riding, winery tours, night time nature walks to entice & captivate you. The town has tennis courts (1 min walk) and 18 hole golf course with fully licensed club rooms. It is worth a visit to the golf course, even if you don't play as it is set in a stunning location , with sub tropical rainforest as a backdrop. Very pretty!
- Randonnées d'un jour
- Wineries, museums, antique shops or a bike ride or a rainforest walk are all within easy reach. The city of Melbourne is also close enough to reach for day trips - 75 km away & a very easy, direct route to the cbd. You can reach the city using our bus and train service - door to door or take a drive in - around 1.5 hours & a pleasant, straight forward trip through prime farmland, orchards & winery country. Roads here are excellent, well maintained and well signed. There are full day winery tours where you can be collected and dropped home again. Plenty to do for all tastes, in all seasons really!
Our large, renovated home has two floors. The owners occupy the upper floor and the fully self-contained ground floor "apartment" is available most of the...
The Miners Church, Scotchmans Lead , Buninyong was built by the Cornish miners in the 1860s during the gold rush, 12 kms south of Ballarat Victoria,...